[Zope] ZODB and quotas

michel@digicool.com michel@digicool.com
02 Jul 1999 00:21:40 -0400

Andreas Kostyrka <andreas@mtg.co.at> writes:

> On 1 Jul 1999 michel@digicool.com wrote:
>
> > It might be possible, note that it would have the same limitations as
> > du: it would 'wake up' (activate from the Object Store) all objects to
> > guage their size, and then there is the question of previous object
> > versions, should you consider the size of previous versions in the
> > Object Database?
>
> Interesting questions. I've been thinking more on the side of the ISP
> hosting Zope sites. It's not a question if the site takes 20.0 or 20.1MB,
> but it's a difference if it's 20MB or 160MB.
>
> Previous Versions should probably not count, as they disappear when the
> database is packed, right?

Yep. Of course, this is quickly solved by making 'accumlate previous
vesions' an option.  Someone might want to know the absolute total of
all of their object, including previous versions.

Taking this discusion a level further, it might even be nice to be
able to just 'pack' a subfolder, so someone who has reached their
quota can free up some space by cleaning out older versions.  Of
couse, a more privledged user could override that by packing 'above'
their folder.

-Michel