[Zope] Zope database format for Zope 2.0

Tony.McDonald@newcastle.ac.uk Tony.McDonald@newcastle.ac.uk
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:44:28 +0100 (BST)

> Hi all.
>
> We've been working out whether or not the final release of
> Zope 2.0 should try to support the older .bbb database format
> as well as the new ZODB3 format. There are a number of technical,
> backward-compatibility, documentation and support problems associated
> with trying to support the old format, so I am leaning toward deciding
> that the 2.0 final release will only use ZODB3 format, and that:
>
>   a) users with current dbs can run a simple command
>      line tool to create a converted ZODB3 file from
>      your existing Data.bbb

Definitely this option.

One thing that may be very important is if people have corrupted databases (they may not realise that they do have a corrupt .bbb file). I'd suggest making sure the translation routine was pretty easy going about this (obviously, it's unlikely the translator will be able to fix the .bbb file, but it would be better if the translator did not just die if it came across some corruption).
tone.