[Zope] Survey: Gadfly usage

Richard Jones Richard.Jones@fulcrum.com.au
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:36:37 +1000

["Christopher Petrilli"]
> OK, as we're having to go through all the DAs  to fix/break/etc the
> multi-threaded support, I have a few questions for people about their usage
> of Gadfly...
>
> 1. Have you ever used Gadfly?  If so, please describe in 30 words, what you
> used it for.

  I use it whenever I need a relational database when I'm doing Python
work and determine that the overhead of installing a more complete RDMBS
(where 'complete' mostly only includes speed issues). Specifically, I've
developed several applications including a 'library' for DVDs (which should
one day be extended to other items like books etc.)

> 2. Did you find it useful?

  Hell yes.

> 3. Was the fact that it was included important to you?

  It's real comforting to know that it's there.

> 4. Do you believe we should continue to include Gadfly in Zope?

  Yep! It would be _really_ nice if you guys could figure out in the DA
code somewhere if gadfly is already installed (and is of a useful version)
so that I don't have to maintain two gadfly installations. Similarly it
would be nice to have kjbuckets in there too (again defaulting to the
standard lib tree if it's there)

> 5. Do you believe we should move Gadfly to an add-on distribution?

  Nope!

     Richard