[Zope] distinguishing users from same ip

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 07:31:48 -0500

[ Robin Becker wrote: ]
> Is there any way to distinguish between anonymous users
> from the same ip?
>
> I'm planning on using zope to allow schoolkids to access a
> tax planning model. Most machines have their own ip, but
> some may allow multiple simultaneous access (eg Linux boxes).

I don't think that's a good way to differentiate between
actual users.  For instance, if two different users from
our company were to participate, you would see the same
IP address originate from both parties, by virtue of our
firewall proxy.  This may not apply in your case, where
it appears everything functions over the local network, but
it sets a bad precedent for building a user session model
that you may wish to later extend.

> An alternative might be to allow some kind of user login.

Much better, IMO.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.