[Zope] Requirement for 2.0

Scott Robertson sroberts@codeit.com
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:54:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Alex Rice wrote:

> Have to disagree here. Having worked at an ISP for the past 3 years I
> can tell you that that MS Frontpage Extensions are a huge pain to
> install and support. A real mess. For the idiot proofing the user gets,
> the ISP has to bend over backwards.

Amen

> interrante> Please consider this a *massive* potential audience for this
> interrante> tool and build simple configuration scripts, yada, yada,
> interrante> that make this a trivial task.  Comments?
>
> I know that CodeIt and some of the other ISPs who are doing Zope hosting
> are actively working on implementation issues wrt hosting multiple Zope
> accounts.
>
> But, I do think the Zope install docs should specifically address the
> situation where someone wants to run zope and all they have is a user
> level shell account w/ CGI access and don't know where to begin.

This is a rather tricky issue. Anyway you slice it the provider needs to
have knowledge of Zope because:

1. You usally have to tweak the server in someway in order to get it to
   pass authentication information. For example you need to add a rewrite
   rule for apache, patch Netscape(?), do god knows what with IIS etc...

2. Not to mention some ISPs either do not allow you to have long running
   processes running or do not allow shell access.

I think the first issue could be cleared up with some sort of
session/token based authentication, which has been discussed before on the
list, but the second issue is all politics.

- Scott Robertson             Phone: 714.972.2299 -
- CodeIt Computing            Fax:   714.972.2399 -
-                http://codeit.com                -