[Zope] (no subject)

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:43:53 +0200

I see you posted this before. On behalf of everybody on the list, I'm
sorry that you have not yet received a worthy reply.

>I have recently installed Zope and zserver. I have already
>developed a complete
>web site based on Python and Postgresql, Apache. However
>maintenance might
>become the bottleneck for me as I am the only one who manages
>it. I want to
>redo the whole thing in Zope. I wonder if you can show any
>light / comments on
>this.

Redoing things in Zope is most likely pretty easy. Exactly how easy
depends a lot on the nature of your site, your structure, and so on.

You might even get by for a while by importing your "legacy" scripts
right into Zope as External Methods, and upgrading them to DTML
Methods/SQL Methods incrementally.

On the other hand, starting anew might even prove to improve the overall
design -- Zope provides a treasure chest of object-orientational tools
touches such as acquisition, a rich object file system, DTML, extensible
database methods, etc.

>Also can somebody PLEASE give me a clue, where I can find a
>tutorial on how to
>use zope and what are the steps. I am really struggling to
>develop any thing. A
>beginners tutorial would be great.

Tutorials are sparse at the moment. The best advice I can give is to
read all the available documentation -- the Document Template User's
Guide and the SQL Methods User's Guide (both available in HTML/PDF
format on the zope.org site), the bits and pieces available through the
Zope Documentation Project (http://zdp.zope.org/), and so on. Check the
Zope site, the Zope installation, and the mailing list archives.

And if you have a question, you're almost sure to receive good answers
on this list. (I'm prepared to disregard the lack of response you got
this time as a fluke incident.) Remember, there are no stupid questions.

Good luck.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"`This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over