[Zope] MySQLDA performance

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:46:55 -0400

Erik Myllymaki wrote:

> I have been doing some tests (admitedly incomplete and unscientific) with
> Zope and a MySQL database.
>
> Using ZServer to parse a simple page with one "included" file = 18 hits per
> second(hps).
> Using PHP3 and Apache to parse a like page with the same "inlcuded" file =
> 16 hps
>
> Using ZServer w/ a Z SQL method to display a table (select * from <!-- #var
> table-->) = 3 hps

:(

> Using PHP3 and Apache to display the same table = 13 hps.
>
> Looking at the MySQL logs, they both keep a persistent connection.

Only one?  I'd expect Zope to create multiple connections if it was under load.

> Why is
> it so much slower with Zope?They are delivering the exact same content with
> each request. The parsers are doing the same job at the surface, although I
> don't have a full grasp of what goes on beneith...
> As a parser, they are similar in speed, but with the database connection,
> ZServer falters.
>
> I tried starting ZServer with "-t 1" as I read in a previous post, but the
> result was similar.
>
> Testing done using Pounder II.

How many rows are in the table?  What DTML did you use to display the
results? I notice that the mySQL extension module used in ZMySQLDA
doesn't release the Python global interpreter lock, which could
negatively impact performance.

Jim

repeats.