[Zope] Zope v Enhydra v NAS v ASP?

Dan Libby danda@netscape.com
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:57:51 -0700

--------------5D767BA3AAB40CAB568201F2

michel@digicool.com wrote:

> danda@netscape.com writes:
>
> > I'm evaluating application servers for a small project I'm contemplating
> > that will require persistent storage of user data (text + images), and
> > of course, dynamic personalized pages.  I would like to store/retrieve
> > all non-binary data (user and other) as XML if possible.
> >

> Zope can do that, it can also speak XML-RPC thanks to Eric Kidd.

Hmm... what amount of support does it have for XML besides XML-RPC?  Is there
pre-built Zope functionality for dealing with XML, or is it more like, plug in
your favorite XML parser and roll your own?
For example, Enhydra supplies XMLC, which is a HTML/XML to Java compiler.

> > Can anyone point me towards a document that compares Zope and Enhydra?
> > For kicks, I would also be interested in comparisons with NAS, JSP, ASP,
> > etc.  I'm mainly interested in ease-of-development, user management, xml
> > support, and scalability/performance.
> >

> I don't know of any such document.  At this point in the game, it's
> all just wild speculation, and no one is going to compare an open
> source product with a commercial one, the recent Linux/Microsoft
> debacle proves that a moot point; at some point the marketing people
> step in and it's a war of words, and truly, words have no power.

Well, I was hoping that, even lacking an official writeup, some people here
would have used the two products and be able to provide a high-level
comparison for a relative newbie.  I agree with you that there is no
substitute for hands-on experience, which is why I'm playing with them both
myself.  However, I also value the opinions of others who have been there,
done that.

-dan

> Comparing two open source applications is fairly reasonable (like
> Enhydra) but I don't think anyone has made such a comparison, and I
> doubt we'll see a fair one any time soon that would sway any
> professional, that's one of the things about open source, if you
> believe the marketing hype, you might as well let youself be suckered
> into buying the commercial products anyway.  They'll apreciate your
> money and actually save you the time of learning the differences
> yourself.
>
> I don't mean this to sound to sharp edged, but that is what I beleive
> about open source software, if you *know* it's better, because you've
> learned and seen with your own eyes, marketing hype soon becomes
> background noise, and you can truly see what an application really is.
>
> -Michel

--------------5D767BA3AAB40CAB568201F2

begin:vcard
n:Libby;Dan