[Zope] ODBC DA for unix coming?

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:25:44 -0400

> There is also the unixODBC project, which has vowed to bring ODBC freely
> to Unix and in particular Linux. MySQL and PostgreSQL drivers are
> available.
>
> "The unixODBC Project goals are to develop and promote unixODBC to be
> the definitive standard for ODBC on the Linux platform. This is to
> include GUI support for KDE."

After some talking, I'd say our position vis a vis ODBC on UNIX is that it's
simply not a good solution for application servers.  ODBC real value lies in
the client side, and on Windows NT, where often it is the easiest (or only)
solution.  On UNIX, all database vendors ship native libraries (except
Microsoft, but don't go there ;-), which are substantially better choices.
Some "swag" looks, ODBC for Oracle, for example, is 1/10th the performance
level of the native OCI level interface, so why would you use this in your
application server?

This is a good project for the community, but I hazard that we have no
resources to dedicate to ODBC/UNIX integration.

Chris