[Zope] Re: Zope XML Roadmap

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 06:24:33 -0400

Michael wrote:
> As an experiment I tried making the Zope python packages under
> JPython instead of CPython, and I only experienced one minor hitch so
> far, most everything compiled straight from the make files. That of
> course leaves the problem of all the parts of Zope which are written
> in C, and I have no idea how much of a problem it is porting that to
> Java (or constructing a JNI interface). But it might be worth
> comparing the effort required to get Zope working on JPython to the
> effort to port existing XML/XSL and other existing Java packages to
> Zope (Python or C-Extensions)

Many of the pieces of Zope exist only as pure Python, such as the
publisher, and other pieces have Python equivalents for the C codes,
such as DocumentTemplate.  The database, now that's a different story.

Unfortunately I'll give the standard line here -- if it becomes
important for a consulting opportunity, we'll look at it.  (Surprisingly
Java seems more important to the industry analysts than potential paying
customers.)  Otherwise, we'll encourage a community effort.

> Aside from the porting effort I realize that there are speed issues,
> but for some of us portability and the simple extensibility offered
> by the JPython /Java combination outweigh speed considerations.

I'm pretty shocked to hear a claim that Java is portable.  Seriously, do
the xBSD, Mac OS X Server, and other non-standard platforms have
reasonable Java?

--Paul