[Zope] Re: Zope XML Roadmap

Michael Rose rose@tele.dtu.dk
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:18:20 +0200

At 6:24 AM -0400 7/21/99, Paul Everitt wrote:

>Many of the pieces of Zope exist only as pure Python, such as the
>publisher, and other pieces have Python equivalents for the C codes,
>such as DocumentTemplate.  The database, now that's a different story.
>
>Unfortunately I'll give the standard line here -- if it becomes
>important for a consulting opportunity, we'll look at it.  (Surprisingly
>Java seems more important to the industry analysts than potential paying
>customers.)  Otherwise, we'll encourage a community effort.

Industry analysts and academics - in either case we're nonpaying
rabble rousers :) In any case, I'm still trying to see how much of
Zope I can get working through JPython.

>I'm pretty shocked to hear a claim that Java is portable.  Seriously, do
>the xBSD, Mac OS X Server, and other non-standard platforms have
>reasonable Java?

'Reasonable' is a good way to put it. I have run JPython out of the
box with no problem both on the Mac  OS 8.5 and MacOS X Server.
That's portable enough for me. I have also compiled Zope with JPython
on both of these platforms all the Python modules seem to compile
fine.

I'll report back when I see how much functionality I have this way,
but considering the problems people have reported with getting Zope
up on MacOS X Server, this does seem like a fast way to at least try
out most of the pieces.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Rose
Center for Tele-Information,    Technical University of Denmark
mailto:rose@tele.dtu.dk              http://www.cti.dtu.dk/personal/rose
Multimedia in the Home - http://mmhome.cit.dk
'and what is the use of a computer' thought Alice 'without pictures
or conversation'                      with apologies to Lewis Carroll