[Zope] Re: Zope XML Roadmap

Joe Grace occam@serv.net
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:08:29 -0700

Michael Rose wrote:
I have just started using Zope as well and am still pleasantly surprised (still working on my first
useful page).

Zope on JPython is so compelling to me that I feel like that's the project for me.  As I come up to
speed on Java and Python, I'd like to take a crack at getting Zope onto JPython.

I do have a question for the Digicool folks though, especially since this would seem to be a long-term
project given all the C code and the comments on the size of the project.  If a project like this were
occurring, would DigiCool be happy to roll in the changes so that they didn't get lost?  I can imagine
being open to such a project, but I feel like if there isn't a serious commitment, JPython support
might eventually just be wasted.  (On the other hand, that seems unlikely given the increasingly
compelling nature of Java both on the server and as a state of the art VM in speed and reliability.)
I don't really understand the nature of servlets with respect to Zope, but I can't imagine having the
choice between them would be too bad.

> Aside from the porting effort I realize that there are speed issues,
> but for some of us portability and the simple extensibility offered
> by the JPython /Java combination outweigh speed considerations.

Ahh, speed.  :-)

This issue is actually (if I'm reading the tea leaves properly) a driver for moving Zope to JPython.
According to a presentation at JavaOne by the originator of JPython, JPython is currently on par (or
thereabouts, I don't exactly remember) with Python, and the prospects for increased speed above
(C)Python are on the horizon.  I don't have PowerPoint, so I can't extract the details right now, but
the following link has PowerPoint slides for the JavaOne presentation if anyone is interested in
peeking:

    http://www.jpython.org/jpython-talk-1.ppt

One of the key points to me was that the Java VM technology has advanced so far so fast that it's
outstripping previous VMs dramatically.  I don't remember if the speedups already included the HotSpot
1.0 JVM, but the HotSpot 2.0 JVM is supposed to be another 30+% faster, so I believe that'll make
JPython that much faster than (C)Python.

Anyway, I think the wonderful dovetailing of Java and JPython would make Zope even more incredible
than it already is and that's what I'm hoping for (since those are my three platforms of choice: Java,
Zope, (J)Python).

If the project gets formal, I'd love to contribute as I can!

Cheers,

= Joe "enjoying Zope for the first time" Grace =