[Zope] dtml-var "fmt" question

Jens Vagelpohl tommymi@concentric.net
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:48:25 GMT

thanks for the pointer, rob.

so it looks like i will have to write python, eh? :) my professor had
told me that i would have to learn python in order to use Zope, and i
told him "well... we'll see about that..."

of course i had already bought the beginners' python book by o'reilly
a few days before that ;)

jens

On 7/22/99, 10:09:06 AM, Rob Page <rob.page@digicool.com> wrote
regarding RE: [Zope] dtml-var "fmt" question:

> Hi Jens:

> > maybe someone has done this before and could advise me: i
> > want to format a
> > floating point variable so it comes out using the european
> > decimal point
> > notation. so instead of 12.5 i would like it to say 12,5 etc.
> >
> > the DTML guide offers some nice built-in formats (like
> > "dollars-and-cents"),
> > i wonder if someone had an idea about maybe doing a
> > "euros-and-cents" one,
> > with the right decimal punctuation and a euro sign ;)

> In DT_Var.py you'll find:

> special_formats={
>     'whole-dollars': whole_dollars,
>     'dollars-and-cents': dollars_and_cents,
>     'collection-length': len_format,
>     'structured-text': structured_text,

>     # The rest are depricated:
>     'sql-quote': sql_quote,
>     'html-quote': html_quote,
>     'url-quote': url_quote,
>     'multi-line': newline_to_br,
>     'comma-numeric': thousands_commas,
>     'dollars-with-commas': whole_dollars_with_commas,
>     'dollars-and-cents-with-commas': dollars_and_cents_with_commas,
>     }

> AND

> def dollars_and_cents(v, name='(Unknown name)', md={}):
>     try: return "$%.2f" % v
>     except: return ''

> So, the short answer is that, in your DT_Var.py you could add a
special
> format called euros-and-cents and then define the simple method for
> rendering it per the examples above.  Of course the challenge is the
> need to constantly repatch the file(s) when you get new versions of
> Zope.  This is a problem...

> The longer answer is being contemplated in the Zope
Internationalization
> Project (ZIP) list.  As you might imagine, this is NOT  unique
example.
> In fact, it crosses currency, time and date issue boundaries.  I have
> raised the issue internally that we need to "modularize" these special
> format definitions so that people can separately install, use and
> maintain formatting configurations.  I am slowly working on a proposal
> (which I'll make to the ZIP list) to refactor/reinvent Zope's
> international extensibility (probably mimicking Un*x' LOCALE stuff).
If