[Zope] ANN: The Zippy Tag

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 01:10:01 -0400

Greetin's

Zope is, as we all know, a very powerful application development and
content management tool.  Whenever we come upon problems that need to be
solved in the real world, Zope is always the perfect piece of software
that solves all problems, very well.  This is how we designed it,
through real world use.

Zope solves it's problems though the use of superior technology.  With
ground breaking concepts like acquisition, pure web object orientation,
a simple management interface, and secure and flexible security, Zope
can take on any other 'web portal tool kit' commercial or otherwise.  Up
to this day however, Zope lacked one feature that would complete it's
total Zope Zen.  The ability to insert random 'Zippy the Pinhead' quotes
into your Content.

This dire need has been fulfilled, introducing the Zippy DTML tag:

http://www.zope.org/Download/Contrib/Zippy.tgz

This Product contains the MIT Zippy the Pinhead database, and
distributed with GNU Emacs, and a simple 12 line Python class (not
including comments).  This is probably the simplest example of a DTML
tag to date.  To use the Zippy tag, simple untar and ungzip the
Zippy.tgz file in your main Zope directory, restart Zope, and an
variation on the following complex Zippy tag syntax:

<!--#zippy-->

For a more cheerfull, and possibly more productive development
experience, place this DTML in your standard_html_error file and smile
with each traceback.

-Michel