[Zope] Re: Zippy, or when to use external database

Erik Myllymaki erikm@islandnet.com
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:03:12 -0700

Hello,

If I were to start out designing something like the Zippy package, my first
thought would be to enter Zippy's various quotes into a database like MySQL
and go from there. It looks like this might not be the best design choice.

Can someone describe when it is best to use an external database instead of
Zope's(python's) internal persistance? How many Zippy one-liners would
there need to be to justify using an external data source? Is it just the
size that would necessitate a switch (assuming a single table source -
non-relational)?

Thanks,

erik myllymaki
erikm@islandnet.com