[Zope] any more information on using UserDB anywhere?

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:12:02 -0500

At 05:50 PM 7/27/99 +0100, Tony McDonald wrote:
>Hi all,
>Is there any more info on using UserDB to do cookie authentication
>available anywhere (I've tried the source, there's too much Zope Zen
>going on there for me). I want to be able to have anything up to
>12,000 users authenticated and I get the impression that there will
>be a user icon made for each of them in the acl_users folder.

Yes, but they won't be "made".  They will only show up when queried, since
they're pulled using an SQL Method.  You can always change the "list users"
query (whatever it's called, I forget) to return nothing, if it bothers you.

>Specifically, I don't seem to be able to logout (go back to being an
>anonymous user), and I'd like to embed the authentication form into
>my (currently non-authenticated) output if possible.

I'm not sure about your problem with logging out, but all you need to do to
embed the authentication form is to use field names __ac_name and
__ac_password (check the source code to verify my spelling first...).  And
point the form's ACTION at something which requires authentication, of
course.  If somebody enters a bad ID/password pair, they'll get the login
form defined by the user folder, however, and the form will repost to the
original target *without* the original (non-authentication) form fields,
unless you modify the user folder's login form to pass them through.