[Zope] RE: [Zope-dev] Serious bug with gadfly transactions?

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:06:47 -0400

If you use relational databases with Zope, please read:

In the context of Database Adapters, Zope 2 introduces two new things:

(a) concurrency
(b) a different (better, faster, cheaper.. um, well still free) approach
to transactions

EACH Database Adapter has to be modified so that it addresses (a) above.
This will be done according to the Levels detailed in an earlier post.
To briefly recap:

o  Level 1 DA -- you must run Zope2 in single-threaded mode
o  Level 2 DA -- "thunked.."  transactions are serialized inside the DA
code
o  Level 3 DA -- fully threaded

A different and largely unrelated issue is how the DA interacts with
Zope's transaction machinery (i.e., (b) above).  With the exception of a
Sybase DA we are working internally for a consulting customer we have
not made any progress (internally) on this.  This will cause the
behavior Martijn describes below.

A DA can be Level 3, high-speed, long-range, low-drag and still not be
integrated with the new transaction machinery.  Conversely, a DA can be
integrated into the new transaction machinery and require Zope be run in
single threaded mode.

I _guarantee_ that today, we will make a Database Adapater status page
available on the Zope site.

--Rob