[Zope] Z Classes Tutorial: Rough Draft

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 14:48:05 -0700

Amos,

After Reading through the tutorial, and going through the motions of
creating a ZClass, I have some feedback on this tutorial. I am going to
only quote those sections I am commenting on.

Amos Latteier wrote:

>     Creating a Simple ZClass
>
>       Start by going to the Control Panel and creating a new Product.
>       Choose "Product" from the add form and call it 'CDProduct'.
>
>       Now go the the 'CDProduct' Product Folder and create a ZClass.
>       For the Class 'id' specify 'CDClass'. Don't worry about the
>       'Selected Base Classes' widget. Click 'Add', and you've just
>       created your first ZClass.

** This section does not mention the 'Add List Text' field, or the
consequences of using it. I realize that a brief explanation is in the
UI, but a discussion of the pros and cons would be appropriate here.

>     Creating a PropertySheet
>
>       Now let's give our Class some properties. We can do this by
>       creating one or more PropertySheets for our Class. A
>       PropertySheet is a schema that describes what kind of properties
>       instances of our Class will have. To create a PropertySheet
>       click on the 'PropertySheets' tab. This takes you to the
>       PropertySheets management screen.
>
>       Let's create a PropertySheet by selecting 'Common Instance
>       Property Sheet' from the Product add list. Then specify
>       'cd_info' as the id of the PropertySheet. Now you should have a
>       new PropertySheet object listed on the PropertySheets management
>       screen. Click on 'cd_info' to edit our PropertySheet.

** The interface has changed here as well. It is now possible to add
only PropertySheets from this tab, so no 'Product add list' is in
evidence.

>     Using ZClass Instances.
>
>       To find out more about our Class, let's explore an instance.
>
>       Leave the Control Panel and create a CD object. Now click on the
>       CD object you just created. You'll note that you can edit the
>       CD's properties with the 'Properties' tab.

** Here is where things really started to break down for me. Although I
created the Properties view as described in previous sections, I was
unable to see a properties tab for an instantiated object.

I have gone though the beginning of this tutorial about eight times so
far, and been unable to complete this section.

Looking forward to reading the revision,

Michael Bernstein