[Zope] failed to compile on BSDI 4.0

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 09:56:38 -0400

> Hi, has anybody successfully compiled zope 2.0.0a1 on a BSDI 4.0 Intel
> class machine? I can compile the package on a Sparc Solaris
> 2.6 with no
> problems but I got the following errors (warnings?) during
> the compilation
> process :-
>
> gcc -D_HAVE_BSDI   -I../Components/ExtensionClass -g -O2
> -I/usr/local/include/python1.5 -I/usr/local/include/python1.5
> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
>  -c ./../Components/ExtensionClass/ExtensionClass.c
> ld  ExtensionClass.o  -o ExtensionClass.so
> ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 08048074
>
> After this point, I got a whole lot of undefined references.
>
> The particular ld from Solaris 2.6 is the one supplied while
> the ld that
> gives the warning prints the following with "ld -v" :-
>
> GNU ld version 2.8.1 (with BFD 2.8.1)
>
> Many thanks.

I've never tried BSDI 4, but here are some things I remember
doing once to get it compiled on BSDI 3.x box:

o add -rdynamic to LDSHARED in all of the Makefiles
o run make -k and ignore any error messages
o I also seem to remember that this produced extensions
  as .o files, which I then had to rename to .so...

Hope this helps!

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909