[Zope] Zap -- incorrect docs

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:56:47 -0400

Ah! You're using the src release of 1.10.2, I see.  That is why there is
no install script, because things are different with a source release.
First, a binary release comes with, surprise surprise, binaries of the
various Zope python extensions, but it also comes with a binary of pcgi
and a binary of python all to itself.  The only preperation necesary is
to run 'install'.  The source release comes only with python and C code.
You must use your own python and compile your own pcgi.  You do this by
running one of two files that compile everything: 'wo_pcgi.py' will set
you up to use ZopeHTTPServer or ZServer, and 'w_pcgi.py' will make you a
Zope.cgi file for pcgi to use (and thus apache).  So you were right in
the first place, there should be something in the docs that say to use
Zap with a source release you must run 'w_pcgi.py' first to create a
Zope.cgi file.

-Michel