[Zope] Weird-ish things with new Zope install on Win32...

Zope on a Rope zope@jules.com
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:26:17 -0400

Hello Zopistas.

I downloaded and installed the latest stable version of Zope for Win32. I
immediately fired it up, connected to localhost:9673 and played. Sheer
brilliance! I'm totally wowed (I notice you lot don't go for the <0.5 wink>
thing over here so I'll try and refrain).

The main weird thing that I noticed is that the HTTP server is disastrously
slow if the remote IP doesn't have a DNS map. I'm sure I'm not the first to
notice this. Is there a quick way to stop a remote lookup on IPs?

Now on to the real problem.

I found the tree control and added it to the standard HTML header. Very
nice. Then I found the sexy-with-images tree over at zdp.zope.org, fired up
a session, and tweaked my #var sidebar which is what I called the tree.

The new tree worked just fine on the opening index_html method but each
index_html document in sub folders didn't work. I'd either get a 'Sorry, an
error occured' or a space in the table where the tree should be and no tree.

So then I commited the session thinking maybe that would help. Oh dear.
Good job I'm testing, eh?

Thanks for any insight. Did I royally, unintentionally screw something up
or did I stumble across a known issue/bug/whatever they call it where you are.

Another thought: While I have your ears, I feel like there is a tremendous
amount of power in Zope that I'm just not getting. The zdp does a wonderful
job of explaining what it explains (nice HOWTO's) but I'm either really
dopey or I can't find the meat of the Zope documentation. I can't even
remember how I stumbled on the tree control in the first place. What else
is burried in there that's awesome but out of my sight? Don't get me wrong,
I'm not bitching. I'm just a little disoriented in this whizzy new world
and need a map.

Cheers,
Jules

--