[Zope] Newbie: install a Product

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:38:44 -0400

There are two different kinds of 'Products's in Zope.  The first kind
(represented by the 'open box' in the Control Panel) is a through the
web developed product.  Using these products, and factories, object, and
maybe ZClasses, you can develop a Zope product through the web.  You are
not required to know any Python to make a product like this.  You do,
however, need to know the process by which you create a product.  See
Amos's ZClass tutorial in the list archives.

The second kind of product (represented by the 'close box' in the
Control Panel) is a pure python product.  The Poll product is one of
these.  it is written in python and all of it's files are read off the
filesystem.

The reason Zope says 'Broken Poll Product' is because there is a problem
somewhere in the Python code of the Poll Product.  The Poll Product
dates all the way back to version 1.9, so I'm guessing that a change
somewhere in Zope from then till now is causing the Poll product to
break.  If you click on the (broken) Poll Product, there will be
traceback tab that takes you to the traceback view.  Cut and paste that
traceback into a mail message and send it to the list.

-Michel