[Zope] FYI: Portal Toolkit Slides and Demo available

Eric Kidd eric.kidd@pobox.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:54:27 -0400

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 03:29:02PM -0400, Paul Everitt wrote:
> Hmm, I'm surprised that you'd advocate automatic reloading, as it would
> (at a minimum) stat a file on each request.  Do you think it should be an
> optional knob to specify whether to check for changes?  If so, what
> should be the default?

I'd like a really easy way to reload external methods. It probably
shouldn't be automatic, but it should be simple and obvious.

> I presume by the leading part of the question that you would feel more
> comfortable doing your processing in Python than all-DTML.  If Zope had a
> "Python Method" object, perhaps only usable by VERY privileged users,
> perhaps only in the Control Panel (say, in a Product), would that help?

This would be absolutely wonderful if done right. Ideally, it should be
possible to export Python methods with the rest of a site. Supporting this
might require some new security work, though.

> Heh heh, if I had a dime for the number of alpha volunteers for the
> portal toolkit :^)

Ooooh! Pick me! Pick me! ;-)

Cheers,
Eric