[Zope] Is there any plans to combine harvest with catalog?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:11:33 -0400

Hmm.. I seem to remember Harvest being an old cache project that the
Squid folks picked up on.  HTTP Caching and Cataloging the same problem?
Perhaps I am thinking of something different, or perhaps the harvest
project had more goals than just caching.

One problem with other cataloging/indexing tools is that they are, at
best, designed to index URLs.  This is al find and good, but we want to
catalog object and their attributes, this is very Zope and Python
specific.  htDIG for example, will index all the documents on your site,
but will it tell you the last document a certain Zope user modifed was?
Will it give you a list of the 10 most recent news items (how can it
know what are 'news items' without a meta_type?)?  Also, with ZClasses,
you can create your own objects and therefore they can have their own
attributes.  Let's say you made a car object, and it had a manufacturer
attribute, someone elses cataloging package wouldn't be able to allow
you to search for a certain care made by Ford before a certain year,
becaause all of thesse attributes are specific to your application.
These are the kinds of problems our Catalog is designed to solve (in
addition to good old fasioned free-text searching).

-Michel