[Zope] Ahaaaa! Success Startup Authentication !!

Robert W. Canary rwcanary@ohiocounty.net
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:38:20 -0500

Okay,   I think I know what is causing the trouble.

I found one thing that did not quit work the way the zope docs said.
You should be able to *not* include the domain name in the access file
(eq superuser:123)   I finally got to the point (agian) where I kept
getting the  failed authorization.  Except this time when I clicked
cancel I did not get the message that there was no Authorization header
found.  Instead it said the username and password supplied were
incorrect.   So I went back into the /var/local/Zope/access file and
changed it to rwcanary:xxxxx:*.ohiocounty.net and it WORKED!

Now how did I get to that point?

First everything belongs to owner and group nobody.  With wide open rwx
(I'll tighten the security tommorow).
Also it seems that Zope must have its own directory.   I moved the
Zope.cgi to "/home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope/Zope.cgi"  I haven't seen any
reference to this in the docs,  please correct me if I wrong.

The Apache is configured as follows:
/etc/httpd/conf/access.conf.........
<Directory /home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope>
Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf............
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} ^(.*)
RewriteRule ^/cgi-bin/Zope/(.*) /home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope/$1
[e=HTTP_CGI_AUTHORIZATION:%1,t=application/x-httpd-cgi,l]

/etc/httpd/conf/srm.conf...........
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/Zope/ /home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope/

This is Apache-modperl-1.3.6 and Zope-1.09

For the record and archives I am pasting what a succesfull rewrite log
should look like:

(2) init rewrite engine with requested uri /cgi-bin/Zope/Zope.cgi/manage

(3) applying pattern '^/cgi-bin/Zope/(.*)' to uri
'/cgi-bin/Zope/Zope.cgi/manage'
(4) RewriteCond: input='Basic c3VwZXJ1c2VyOjEyMw==' pattern='^(.*)' =>
matched
(2) rewrite /cgi-bin/Zope/Zope.cgi/manage ->
/home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope/Zope.cgi/manage
(5) setting env variable 'HTTP_CGI_AUTHORIZATION' to 'Basic
c3VwZXJ1c2VyOjEyMw=='
(2) remember /home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope/Zope.cgi/manage to have MIME-type
'application/x-httpd-cgi'
(2) local path result: /home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope/Zope.cgi/manage
(1) go-ahead with /home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope/Zope.cgi/manage [OK]
(1) force filename /home/httpd/cgi-bin/Zope/Zope.cgi to have MIME-type
'application/x-httpd-cgi'
(2) init rewrite engine with requested uri /manage
(3) applying pattern '^/cgi-bin/Zope/(.*)' to uri '/manage'
(1) pass through /manage

I have one question?  After I log onto the "/Zope.cgi/manage" I can exit
and then go backto /Zope/Zope.cgi/manage it goes directly to it.  It
does not ask me for a username and password anymore.  Why?

--
robert canary
system services