[Zope] RE: URGENT: Can't start up zope

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:39:36 -0400

Martijn Pieters wrote:
> If the Zope data stored in a RDMS can be accessed by other apps, this would
> be benificial to promoting Zope to people that think in RDMS's as an end to
> all Web Applications, even though I personally don't see a direct use for
> such access.

On a technical level, since the data in the RDBMS record is a pickled
Python instance, it would be basically unusable to other applications.
You'd gain a "standard" for record management, but not one for data
management.

On an abstract level, the statement "if Zope data can be accessed by
other applications" seems to be a pretty clear violation of
encapsulation, but that's just the object zealot party line. :^)

--Paul