[Zope] 'Cannot Locate' errors from Bobo using pcgi...

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:01:04 -0400

Uhhmm... no.  This problem is a bit more complex than it sounds.  First
off, a 'Not Found' error (404) comes about because what you're looking
for is not in the object database, thus, the error is not raised *in*
the object database, but in ZPublisher, the ORB (unlike, for example, a
DTML error).

Due to the (very intentional) modularity of ZPublisher, ZPublisher can't
just assume that there is a standard_error_message object in the object
database (you can use ZPublisher by itself without Zope) so imagine it
raising a 404, looking for standard_error_message, which raises a 404
which...

Furthermore, ZPublisher is protocol independent.  If you wanted to
write, say, an NNTP protocol extension to ZPublisher, you could publish
your objects as newsgroups and items (sick!).  Or IMAP, or XML-RPC
(which Eric Kidd is working on as we speak) or CORBA, or whatever, pick
your protocol.  The problem is, standard_error_message doesn't make any
sense in those contexts, or maybe it does?

Jim has presented a proposal for fixing this, and a few other things
about our error model, for example, if you impliment error handling in
the ORB like his proposal, it will no longer be necesary for the object
database to grab its own errors, it can just let them float up to the
ORB and then use the new method to find and call standard_error_message.

This could be a 2.0 feature, if we can find the resources (I beg of you
to volunteer ;).

-Michel