[Zope] Other web servers?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:22:49 -0400

Zope works with any webserver that 1) does CGI, and 2) passes the
HTTP_AUTHORIZATION header to the CGI script.  Niether NES or Apache do
this without modification, Apache must use a rewrite rule, or the new
mod_pcgi module, and NES must use an NSAPI plugin which is unsuported.
The closed source nature of NES is very limiting.  We do have customers
who use the plugin, however.

> #2: Do I understand correctly that **every** page is built and served
> dynamically?  Is there a performance issue here, since static
> html serve
> the fastest?  Much of our content will be static pages, but we need
> ease-of-use for publishing by non-web persons.

Every page is served 'dynamicly' in that it is pulled from the object
database.  However, pages do not need to be rendered if they do not
contain any DTML scripting.  When a document is added, the DTML is
compiled for speed, it is not parsed and compiled on every access.

Zope is much faster than traditional CGI solutions for "dynamicly"
generating content, since the Zope process is running all the time,
there is no fork and exec'ing of an interpreter overhead.

Also, I have no benchmarks on traditional file serving vs. serving from
the object database, I would venture a wager however that you will not
notice it even under heavy loads.  Zope 1.x has been proven to do well
over a million hits a day on modest hardware, and Zope 2.0 will be able
to perform much faster and smoother than that.  Given also that it is
written in Python and not (god forbid) Java means that it is very
cross-platform and can run on every platform that python can run on and
that you can compile C python extensions onto.

Also, Zope works well in conjunction with a classic file based web
server.  For intense raw gotta get out as fast as posible static web
page serving, you can very easily integrate Zope with a lightning fast
server, like Zeus or a highly tuned Apache.

BTW, does NOVALUG stand for Northern Virginia Linux Users Group?

-Michel