[Zope] Is there any plans to combine harvest with catalog?

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:57:06 -0400

> Ahh, Harvest.  Brings back old memories.  I started using it
> in 1992/93
> and we actually fielded some consulting opportunities using it before
> the group disbanded (most going to Netscape to start the Catalog
> Server).
>
> I thought Harvest was mostly dead?
>
> Anyway, having a web crawler index your site has strengths and
> limitations as have been described here.  We at one time had extended
> Harvest to make it "play nice" with an object system we had
> created (for
> employment info), but in the end the two architectures were too
> disimilar.

With the advent of the Zope Catalog an intersting derivative idea might
be to allow Zope to cough up RDF descriptions of definable (i.e.,
/Zope/Marketing/*, /Zope/US/Sales*, etc.) portions of the object space.
I know that InfoSeek's Ultraseek and Netscape's Compass servers will
gather RDF (to use a Harvest word).  This lets the local server add most
of the value and the spider's can come along for a relatively low-impact
RDF snarfing visit.

Thoughts?
--Rob