[Zope] Is there any plans to combine harvest with catalog?

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:58:22 -0700

Rob Page wrote:

> With the advent of the Zope Catalog an intersting derivative idea might
> be to allow Zope to cough up RDF descriptions of definable (i.e.,
> /Zope/Marketing/*, /Zope/US/Sales*, etc.) portions of the object space.
> I know that InfoSeek's Ultraseek and Netscape's Compass servers will
> gather RDF (to use a Harvest word).  This lets the local server add most
> of the value and the spider's can come along for a relatively low-impact
> RDF snarfing visit.

Ah yes, and if Zope has the ability to pull in and parse RDF from other
sites, you would have a standards based mechanism for
sharing/syndicating content among Zope sites (Clobber Vignettes
iSyndicate).

I would love to be able to 'subscribe' my sites to subsections of
www.dmoz.org (for example), add my own value-added content, and then
allow other sites to 'subscribe' to my value-added version.

As an example, much of the information in the Zope section of the ODP
(http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Servers/Application/Zope/)
is currently duplicated in sections of the zope.org site. It ought to be
possible to set one up as being authoritative, and allow the other to
update itself periodically from the first (yes I realize that this
requires cooperation from both sites).

Anyway, that's my blue-sky thought for the day...

Michael Bernstein.