[Zope] Web Reports

Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:55:28 +1000

>>> Michel Pelletier wrote
> > >  I am wondering if Zope can/does generate web reports
> > >  in the form of charts and graphs?
> > >

> Anthony Baxter has written an SQL query builder and report generator:
>
> http://www.interlink.com.au/anthony/dmc-0.1.tgz
>
> This is an excellent uncharted (pun intended) land for Zope, I forsee
> lots of charting and plotting programs coming to light, for example,
> taking stock quotes from a feed and generating charts with a chart
> object... etc.  Python makes things like this so easy.

I plan to break the graphing code out into a seperate product. The
question becomes, what sort of data do people want to plot? In it's
initial incarnation, it will be just the dmc's plotting code - this
takes the result of an SQL Method, and determines what sort of graph
to plot by doing some (fairly stupid) poking around the data (if there's
a column matching '.*[Dd][Aa][Tt][Ee].*', then it's a date, so draw
a line graph, that sort of thing...)

what sort of thing do people want? A graphing object that's built
up gradually? Something that gets data all in one hit?

Anthony