[Zope] getting ext. method files in and out

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:57:09 -0400

> is there anyway to put external method files into the extensions
> directory through Zope?

The reason this is not supported is that this would open up rather large
holes in security.  For better or worse, relying on filesystem access as
the mechanism for getting external methods onto/off of the Zope server
empowers the Unix SA to say 'yes' and/or 'no'.

> i'm working exclusively through a remote machine.  do i need to setup
> my server to allow me to FTP or access that directory through some
> other means?  shouldn't i be able to do it through ZServer w/ a HTTP
> PUT?

This would work...  IMO, the _best_ solution to this problem is to use
ssh (and scp) which are essentially secure (i.e., encrypted) versions of
telnet and cp (they do a WHOLE lot more as well).  There are Unix and
Win32 clients for both (although for some strange reason the Win32 scp
doesn't recursively copy :(

--Rob