[Zope] Revoking authentication (or: logging out)?

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:24:11 +0200

Cookies or URL embedding are two possible solutions. Cookies store store
login state and expiry information, your pages validate this information
and emits a 401 if incorrect. This is to augment, not replace, Zope's
security system, although most likely you'll be forced to do your own
HTTP authentication (which iirc means writing your own UserFolder
descendant wrapped in a Zope Product).

URL embedding is just a variation that embeds the information in URLs
rather than inside cookies (you should obfuscate or hexbin the
information to avoid problems); this is typically more relevant on
public sites where some users might not have cookies enabled, or is
running a non-cookie-enabled browser. Otoh, the downside is you have to
put this stuff in every single secure URL.

I hear Chris Petrilli is the resident security dude at DC. Perhaps he
can shed more light on this subject; I just drained the bulk of my
knowledge on this topic. :-)

Imho a solution to this problem should be built into Zope, since it's so
common.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"`Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.'"