[Zope] UserLand and Zope (Re: ANN: Frontier selects Zope as Linux server platform!)

Eric Kidd eric@userland.com
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:54:41 -0400

(I don't officially speak for UserLand in this message.)

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 04:34:50PM -0700, Michael Bernstein wrote:
> Dang, you guys at DC are sure close-mouthed about this stuff... :^)

That's because we didn't exactly tell them. ;-) We're feeling things out as
we go along, and sometimes little bits of information are released in
advance.  Dave Winer at UserLand will make a more formal announcement once
he talks with Paul Everitt some more.

We like Linux. We like dynamic websites. Zope runs on Linux and produces
nifty dynamic websites. By a process of logical induction, you could
conclude that we probably like Zope. We do.

Now, we also sell a product which competes with Zope. It's called Frontier;
it does many of the same things, and it runs on Windows NT and the MacOS.
But Frontier and Zope are both "glue" products--they're valuable because
they let you connect lots of things together. So even though we compete
with Zope, we want to talk to it, too. Make sense?

We're trying to be good citizens, too--we've submitted our patches to
Digital Creations for use in a future version of Zope. If you want to know
more, watch <http://www.scripting.com/> for future updates.

> PS. When will we have an RSS/OCS product for Zope? Huh? HUH? (just
> kidding, I know you're busy).

If you write one, we'll be happy to feature it on our web site (as will DC,
I imagine). But you could have figured that out on your own. :-)

Cheers,
Eric