[Zope] Re: Zope digest, Vol 1 #289 - 28 msgs

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:28:16 -0400

ZServer definatly isn't unsuported, but it is beta, which means you may
run into bugs.  We would love to hear about any bugs you run into.  Now,
in the case that ZServer doesn't impliment a feature you want, that
would have to be submitted as a feature request to the Collector for
consideration to be included in the next or subsequent releases.

Note that although ZServer is beta, Zope 2.0 is *alpha*.

>  However,
> for the sake of conversation and understanding, can the ZServer in the
> alpha distribution accomplish the same role as Apache, in redirecting
> different virtual domains to seperate Zope processes or
> seperate trees of
> the Z object database?

ZServer doesn't have nearly the configurability of Apache.  The short
answer is no, although I bet a good python programmer could hack up a
quick solution to their specific problem rather well.

> Assuming that ZServer and Apache do or would eventually
> support this mode
> of operation, would ZServer offer better resource usage through its
> multithreaded nature?

The jury is still out on that questions.  Zope 2.0 appears to be
definatly much faster than 1.x w/ ZServer, but substantive analysis has
not been done with Andrew's new mod_pcgi apache module.  I suspect that
ZServer and Apache+mod_pcgi will similarly.

What ZServer buys you is the ability to do webdav (which Apache can also
do, if you patch it) and especialy FTP and XML-RPC (protocols Apache
can't, and never will speak).  Note however, that Apache can work *with*
ZServer using pcgi, so Apache+mod_pcgi+ZServer will get you all the
benefits: Apache's configurability as a webserver, mod_pcgi and
ZServer's speed, webdav, FTP, and XML-RPC support.

-Michel