[Zope] Losing the right to be anonymous

Jim Washington jwashin@vt.edu
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:55:48 -0400

So I am working for this professor, and he wants a temporary file drop
location for students to put their class assignments on the server.

I say: Zope. (of course).  No worrying about network protocols.
Accessible from anywhere there is a browser, secure, etc, etc. Plus,
removing the users and files later on would be just a few clicks...
Magic!

I set the professor up as Manager of a Zope folder, and under that
folder, I set-up some folders for the students.  They have individual
Manager rights in their subfolders, so all they have to do is upload
their files, and all I have to do is put together a few lines of  DTML
making appropriate links in a document in the upper folder to nicely
display the files in the student folders.

The problem is that once a student has logged in as Manager of a
subfolder and added their files, they cannot view the public interface
in the professor's folder until they quit and restart the web browser.
By logging in as a manager of a subfolder, they lose rights to view
stuff they could view "anonymous"-ly.  This is with Zope-1.10.3b1, but
2.0a3 seems to have the same behavior.

I had never noticed this before.  Then again, I am always using Zope as
Manager from the top level. or purely anonymously.

Anyway, this could be a word of warning for similar situations or a bug
report or a request for suggestions how I could have done this better. I
can't decide, so I thought I would just tell the story.

Regards,

-- Jim Washington