[Zope] beginner's questions...

michel@digicool.com michel@digicool.com
26 Jun 1999 15:07:58 -0400

Jens Vagelpohl <tommymi@concentric.net> writes:

> hey everyone,
>
> i bet this has been asked before, but i just subscribed to the list
> yesterday...
>
> i am running zope 1.10.3 on redhat 5.2 with python 1.5.1, using the built-in
> ZHTTPServer
>
> - what is the best way to bind ZHTTPServer to port 80? i looked at the chain
> of scripts starting the server process but i have not been able to specify
> the port-argument successfully. looking at the documentation yields
> conflicting advice, if any...

Specify a -p argument to the ZopeHTTPServer process.  alternatively
you can hardwire it, see the very end (port=9673) of the
ZopeHTTPServer/ZopeHTTPServer.py file.

> - trying to shut down the server process from the management-control panel
> "shutdown"-button doesn't work. the traceback in the page source says:
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File /usr/src/Zope-1.10.3-src/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 877,
> in publish_module
>   File /usr/src/Zope-1.10.3-src/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 590,
> in publish
>     (Info: /Control_Panel/manage_shutdown)
>   File /usr/src/Zope-1.10.3-src/lib/python/App/ApplicationManager.py, line
> 222, in manage_shutdown
>     (Object: Navigation)
>   File /usr/src/Zope-1.10.3-src/lib/python/BoboPOS/SimpleDB.py, line 802, in
> save_index
> IOError: (13, 'Permission denied')

Your ZopeHTTPServer process probably doesn't have permission to write
the database index file to the to the /var directory.  It probably
*does* have permission to write to the Data.bbb file *in* the var
directory (otherwise it wouldn't work at all).  Since the database
index file is just an optimization, and not required for Zope to start
up, everything works for you until your Zope process tries to save the
index file.

> help is highly appreciated. what i am working on is an intranet-based
> customer database with web front-end. this is a class project for my
> master's program and i intend on dazzling the professor, whose solutions and
> projects almost always exclusively involve micro$oft-trash, of which i am
> utterly sick after a few projects with e.g. SQL server and ASP.

I would not suggest running ZopeHTTPServer for a grade.  It is not
production software.  It was intended to allow people to quicky try
out Zope back before we had ZServer, but now that there is ZServer,
and it is just as simple to use as as ZopeHTTPServer, I would suggest
trying that.

Now that I think about it, I propose that we unbundle ZopeHTTPServer
from all future releases of Zope.

-Michel