[Zope] Documentation Announcement

Alex Rice alrice@swcp.com
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:32:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:16:41 -0400,
Pam Crosby <pam@digicool.com> said:

Pam> Please feel free to submit suggestions for documentation efforts,
Pam> they should be posted to Collector.  Thanks and hello!

Welcome aboard! I don't think this is specific enough to report to
Collector, so I'll just generalize here.

When I was learning Zope (and still am) I found the documentation was
actually quite good. Many thanks to Amos, ZDP folks, whoever else has
been writing this stuff.

What kind of bogged me down was the sheer number of tiny documents. I
have the DTML Users Guide spiral bound, and about a dozen stapled faqs,
articles, emails, etc all stuffed inside the cover of that. When I'm
trying to remember something it makes it really hard to know where to
look for that one code snippet. It would probably be helpful for folks
to have a hefty Zope "book" with a unified index that is downloadable in
postscript or pdf format, as well as html.

Or better yet, each installation Zope could use xml-rpc to automagically
download the latest revisions of the html format docs from the nearest
Zope docs mirror. :-)

Alex Rice    |    alrice@swcp.com    |    http://www.swcp.com/~alrice
    Current Location: N. Rio Grande Bioregion, Southwestern USA