[Zope] Is a JPython implemention within the realm of possibility?

David Ascher da@ski.org
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:47:39 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

> I am wondering if it is within the realm of possibility that the Zope
> project might eventually support operation as a Java program (under JPython)
> in addition to operation under traditional Python.  I know it would probably
> be a large undertaking and that there may well be better places to spend
> precious energy, but I thought I'd register my interest in the prospect.

My guess is that the hardest part of such an undertaking would be to
convert Jim's extensions to Java/JPython.  Specifically, ExtensionClasses
and Acquisition are probably the hardest to do (I believe many of the
others are just fast implementations of Python versions).  Jim Hugunin
mentioned that he had thought a bit about ExtensionClasses, but I'm not
sure how far that went. The efficient POS and other extensions are also
clearly a significant undertaking, but maybe not as hard to translate.

However, I don't see it happening until someone has a commercial
motivation to invest the large required number of hours into it.

--david