[Zope] Some tough questions about zope... (long)

John Eikenberry jae@kavi.com
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:03:12 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Ronald Offerman wrote:

> > also a rather powerful language for being so simple).  Just leave your
> > PHP stuff in your documents; Zope will parse out the DTML and return it
> > to the server, which will parse out the PHP stuff and return it to the
> > browser.  In fact, you can probably make DTML and PHP work together
> > nicely and simplify much of your PHP code.  In the quickie case you
> > don't need to change your PHP.
>
> If this would work (having Apache parse the PHP code in the pages
> returned by Zope), you would save me a lot of painfull converting
> working PHP code (mainly database related) and I would gradually convert
> from PHP/Apache to Zope/Python/Apache.

This can't be done currently. I researched this a while back, trying to
get server side includes to work. There's actually an entry in the Apache
FAQ about it:

"""
9.How can I have my script output parsed?

     So you want to include SSI directives in the output from your CGI
     script, but can't figure out how to do it? The short answer is "you
     can't." This is potentially a security liability and, more
     importantly, it can not be cleanly implemented under the current
     server API. The best workaround is for your script itself to do what
     the SSIs would be doing. After all, it's generating the rest of the
     content.

     This is a feature The Apache Group hopes to add in the next major
     release after 1.3.
"""

Though this is about SSI, it basically means (I believe) that apache can't
take back the output of a CGI for additional module handling.

---

John Eikenberry
[jae@kavi.com - http://taos.kavi.com/~jae/]
 will deserve neither and lose both."