[Zope] Python neccessary to work with Zope?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:07:09 -0500

You do not need to know a single line of Python to use Zope.  But
learning Python is a pleasure, not a chore.

> - Can I achieve anything useful in Zope without touching Python? I can
> learn DTML, of course.

You can do just about anything with DTML.  In fact, most 'Products'
(read that, 'Zope Extnesions') are mostly DTML.  If your not writing a
Product then you can stay entirely in the domain of DTML.  DTML does use
a small bit of Python in itself, these are called expressions.  For
example, if you had an integer called num you could use:

<!--#var num-->

to 'render' it in your web page.  To get num + 1 you would use:

<!--#var "num + 1"-->

The contents of "" is a python expression.  But it's not a python
program.  If we didn't use Python we'd of had to have come up with some
other language like way of doing this that you'd have had to learn
anyway.

> - if so, what I can and what I cannot do without Python?

Python is used for the following:

To write Products. This is hard core development.

To write External Methods, which are used to hook special or
wierd/pre-existing python functions into Zope.  This is rarely necesary.

> - could I, for instance, do something like slashdot.org
> without Python?

Yes.  There may be a 1% slice of something like slashdot needing a bit
of Python.  But remember, slashdot is a huge application written
entirely in Perl.

> - is there a plan to give Zope features (or ready-made
> modules/factories) that would completely eliminate the need
> to work with
> Python (for certain tasks that can be automated or turned into
> templates)?

Yep.  These are called Zope Classes.  They are still in-house here at
Digital Creations because we are still debugging/figuring them out.  A
Zope Class lets your create your own objects that can be added into Zope
without writing Python code.