[Zope] New subscriber: Installing Zope

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:50:27 -0500

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 10:27:35AM -0500, Thomas Schruefer wrote:

> Can I install it ?  Not, is it to complicated to install, but do I need
> root access to the machine to install this application.  This question
> and the answer have killed many a promising application (DB & BBS).

You should be able to install a binary package as a typical user on a
UNIX machine.  If your machine already has Python 1.5.1 or higher
installed (don't they all?!?!?! :-) then you can just install the basic
source distribution of Zope and do the:

	$ python wo_pcgi.py

Thing :-)  You can then use the ZopeHTTPServer on a untrusted port (over
1000) and off you go :-)  If you want to use Apache+PCGI you probably
will need administrator support, and if yo uwant to be on a port under
1000 you'll need it.

> The install docs mention, you have to be root user, to install some
> components, does this mean what I fear it means ? (machine admin, ie.
> super user)

You should be able to get a feel for it without being root.

Chris