[Zope] non-External Methods

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@Digicool.com
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:27:07 -0500

>From: "Shaw, Howard" <ShawH@STHS.org>
> Does this mean that when Zope is stopped and restarted, it is as if
> every External Method has its 'edit' button repushed? If I change code
> in an External Method, but don't manually reload it, it will be reloaded
> the next time the Zope process restarts? This seems to conflict with
> Christoforou's description... Perhaps DC can clarify?

External Methods are (to the best of my knowledge) evaluated and their
compiled code is kept in process memory (effectively cached) the first time
the object (the External Method object pointing to a particular
module/method) is activated.  It is removed from process memory when the
object is de-activated.

This is kindof a tricky process and may be effectively cleaned up in the
near future so I won't go into too many details here.  An important thing
to keep in mind is (again, this may change soon) that the compiled code is
kept locally in each External Method Object.  If you have two EM's in Zope
pointing to the same code, you have to use the "Edit" button on _both_
External Method objects to effectively reload it.

.jPS | jeffrey@digicool.com
zope, through the web. www.zope.org