[Zope] Zope LDAP Products available (v0.1)

Anthony Baxter anthony@interlink.com.au
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:32:36 +1100

Short Version of message: ZLDAPconn-0.1 and ZLDAPMethods-0.1 are now
available from http://www.interlink.com.au/anthony/python/

I'm looking for opinions on the LDAP zope product I've been building.

Right now, LDAP connections work, LDAP Methods work, but there's still
a bit more to do. Right now, the following is unimplemented:

In ZLDAPconn:
. Anything other than simple_bind(who, passwd) for connecting to the
    LDAP server
. meaningful doc strings

In ZLDAPMethods:
. Pluggable Brains
. Result Caching
. Limits on the number of results
. Variable interpolation in the filters, and in the base DN
. modify or add queries (only search is supported right now)
. meaningful doc strings :)

Other stuff:
. UserLDAP is not finished yet (or released) - the primary issue is the
    storing of roles and domains. Right now this would have to be some
    non-standard LDAP attribute... but what should it be? It also probably
    needs modify and add added to ZLDAPMethods before being really useful.

Things I'd like comments on:
For ZLDAPconn:
    what other bind methods would you like to see?
For ZLDAPMethods:
    how should add/modify/query be distinguished? Separate methods?

I had planned to get variable interpolation working tonight, but decided I'd
rather get an early night. Probably tomorrow evening, instead. Stuff I hope to
get going in the next day or so: variable interpolation, pluggable brains.

Anyway, ZLDAPconn-0.1 and ZLDAPMethods-0.1 are now available from
http://www.interlink.com.au/anthony/python/

It requires David Leonard's ldapmodule, from
http://www.it.uq.edu.au/personal/leonard/dc-prj/ldapmodule/

It's been tested on Linux 2.2, under Zope 1.10.2 and ZServer. Assuming the
ldapmodule works on other platforms (it's available in source, and also as
a windows .pyd) it should work elsewhere, too.

Anthony