[Zope] Web Application Software

Theodore Patrick tpatrick@IndigoNetworks.com
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 12:20:12 -0600

<NOTE>I do not know much about btrieve.</NOTE>

<btrieve>
If you can make btrieve a data source you are home free. All you need is the
connector/drivers.

http://www.zope.org/Download/Adapters

Also look into:

http://www.python.org/download/Contributed.html#Database

Typically these modules make there way into zope as they are existing python
modules.
Actually I would gather that Btrieve has a c interface that would make a
great product.

</btrieve>

<dev>

As with all projects .... it depends.

Using attributes is the key to zope. If you take advantage of its ability to
store session variables Zope is far better than other solutions because you
do not need a database to store info during a transaction, you can simply
write it to an attribute in zope thus lowering the # database calls.

I guess the implementation depends on allot of variables that were not
listed in your email.

1. # of concurrent users
2. # of queries and "How databasy is the application? Big Queries?
OnChange?"
3. Specifics on your data model
4. # of tasks required
5. How OO(Object Oriented) are you?

It is a difficult concept to cover but developmental access to ZOPE is
remote by nature. Anything you can do in Zope is accessible anywhere, by
anyone else. Except for installing modules and products, you do not need
machine access ---> Everything is done online and inside of Zope. It is
convenient that way.

Look into the bug collector for the ZOPE site. It allows many levels of
access to the bug database except there is not database just Ztables. It
might be just the ticket.
http://www.zope.org/Collector

Also take a look at the example folder here
http://www.zope.org/Download/Contrib
Specifically the DTML EXAMPLE FOLDER --> IT WILL GIVE YOU LOTS O' CODE and
HINTS
</dev>

Just think in OO and Zope will work.

Best of luck.

Theodore E. Patrick
email: tpatrick@indigonetworks.com <mailto:tpatrick@indigonetworks.com>
phone: 615-777-0070 ext.125

Indigo Networks - The Ultimate Choice In Who Sees You.
http://www.indigonetworks.com