[Zope] Why do I have to reimport External Methods ?

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 22:10:43 -0600

Quinn Dunkan wrote:
> And as far as tuning pcgi: you could shorten pcgi_socket():delay
> or the 2 second sleep() at the end of pcgiStartProc().  The first
> one could probably be pretty safely shortened with the miniscule
> cost of a chance of a few extra connect() calls,

You may season to taste.  The 2 second pause seemed safe enough
on most tested systems, since we're flying blind.  We've reserved
an extra header byte to designate out-of-band data that could be
much smarter about how to handle this, eventually.

> but the second one should probably stay the same, although
> I'm not clear on its purpose (give time for the child to
> sort itself out?).

I don't have the code here, but it's probably trying to
avoid some problem that I encountered when it was
missing <wink>.

> Here's a random question: how come the win32 pcgiConnect uses
> CONNDELAY (defined in pcgi.h as 1), while the unix version
> says int delay=1; ?

Probably historical flotsam.  The win32 portion of pcgi is
almost a completely separate product and only coexists with
its Unix cousin by virtue of an overabundance of #ifdef
clauses.

I've mentioned this before, but it probably won't hurt to
repeat.  I don't think the win32 version of pcgi as the best
solution for this sort of thing.  It's mainly there to fill
out a niche.  Process launch is more expensive under Windows
than Unix, so the Medusa/ZServer approach is probably more
sensible in that environment, where good performance is
desired.

> See, that's the problem with open source: all sorts of grubby
> randoms can go rooting through your code :)

I don't consider that a problem. ;-)

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.