[Zope] one 'document' in many 'folders'

Wade Leftwich wade@okaynetwork.com
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:44:22 -0500

As a demonstration project to try and get a client to go with Zope,
I'm converting a newsfeed database that I had originally built using
Perl.

The object of the game is to pull fresh articles from a Reuters
server every two hours and put them in a bin. A human editor goes
through the bin, culls and sorts the articles, edits where
appropriate.

One article may appear in more than one section of the site. For
example, an article titled "Zope Is Cool" might appear in the
Python, Web Development, and Open Source sections. Each
section has its own contents page.

This is where I get confused. My Perl application simply used the
filesystem as a database, and generated three separate static
copies of "Zope Is Cool", placing one in each of  three directories:
/python, /web_development, and /open_source. I suspect there are
much better ways to do it in Zope, but how do I organize things?

My naive idea is to make each article a Document, one of whose
properties is a list (or dictionary) of categories in which it should be
placed. Generating each section's contents page would then take
some figuring out, and performance on doing the contents page
would be a concern.

If there's a better way, I'd certainly appreciate hearing about it.

Signed,

Confused a/k/a

Wade Leftwich
Okay Network Services, Ithaca NY