[Zope] Unusual question

Tom Deprez Tom.Deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:08:43 +0100

Hi,

This is (I think) an unusual question on this thread, but I want to ask it.

We are at the start of making an intranet, which will contain a database of
procedures (how to handle some examinations etc). We want to make it able
that people can query this database and get the information they want on
there web-browser.

A day ago, we were confinced that PostgresSql with PHP3 (www.PHP3.org)
would be the solution to this problem. This on a RedHat Linux 5.2 system
with Apache as
web-server. But now we've seen Zope. I'm wondering..., can Zope do the same
things as PHP3? Or is this a complete different application? How stand Zope
and PHP3 next to each other?

I believe PHP3 is a scripting language... I'm wondering : is Zope also only
a scripting language? Or is it more? Is the scripting language (=Python?)
more powerfull then Zope)

Are there people, using PHP3 next to Zope?

ps. Has Zope the capability to easely make these scripts? I mean not
text-based , but in a certain IDE or RAD application?

Please, say in some simple words what Zope is and for what it can be
used... I've read the web-page. But since I'm a stupid person in this field
of webservers I can't understand what they are explaining.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Tom.