[Zope] Unusual question

Pedro Vale Lima eq3pvl@eq.uc.pt
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:11:23 +0000

Tom Deprez wrote:

> Please, say in some simple words what Zope is and for what it can be
> used...

Tom,

There are probably other guys here that can give you a better comparison
between zope and php3. I never used php3 but I used ASP (the microsoft
stuff), which is similar (though worst than php3 :-).

With Zope you get a server markup language (called DTML) which you can
mix with HTML. This concept makes it even easier to program than mixing
a scripting language with HTML like php3 and asp do. From what you said
I guess you will just need this kind of programming... so Zope will be a
better choice than php3.

But with Zope you also get *the best* scripting language available:
Python. You can add logic to your application by writing external
methods or products. This kind of extension is much more powerful than
php3, although maybe a bit more complex.

Zope also has a great IDE for managing your site through the web.

Although I cannot tell you which one is better, if you give Zope a run
try and, ... if my instinct is correct, you will want no other thing.

hope it helps,

pedro
--
Pedro Vale Lima