[Zope] Building Zope on BSDI

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:48:00 -0500

> > > Has anyone built Zope on a BSDI machine? BSDI doesn't
> support shared
> > > libraries, so everything has to be statically compiled
> into python.
> > > I just got it to build (python w_pcgi.py finished), but
> there doesn't seem
> > > to be a new python binary anywhere with everything
> compiled in. To get it
> > > to compile, I went through and deleted all the '*shared*'
> from the 'Setup'
> > > files. Any tips?
<snip>

> So... any tips for compiling the Zope extensions as shared libs? I'll
> probably keep working on the static python solution, as I'm actually
> making progress on this, and I really have no idea where to start with
> shared libs on BSDI (no good leads on dejanews, and egroups is
> non-responsive as usual).
>
> Thanks,
>
> ---
>
> John Eikenberry

Here are some things I've found in previous struggles to
get Zope compiled on bsdish systems -- I'm no guru, though,
and I've seen different things work on different bsdx flavors:

o you usually need to add -rdynamic to LDSHARED in your Makefiles
  (this should be reported & worked into python's makefiles, IMHO)

o I havent been able to get threads going on many bsd flavors - so
  you may not be able to pass --with-thread to configure

o I find that extensions will all appear to blow up with unfound symbols

  (such as those you reported) - you need to run make -k and ignore the
  errors ;)

o On some systems, I had to run make -k, ignore the errors, and rename
  the output .o files for the extensions to .so :(

o I seem to remember having to use shlicc on .so files, but
  I dont recall the details...

Hope this helps - please post a status rpt if you get it working, so
that the gory details will at least be captured. This is the sort of
thing that should be in an installation FAQ somewhere.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909